A Royal Scot passes with a Down London-Edinburgh Express
indentIn 1955 there was only one
named express, the "Thames-Clyde", and this isn't it! The following year
the name "The Waverley" was given to an express from St Pancras to Edinborough
and this is the train represented here - just before it was named.
Both expresses were early users of the then-new BR Mk1 coaches although at this time there
was no brake1st at the front (they weren't built until 1960) so a brake 3rd was used.
British Railways Midland Region also had plenty of fairly new ex-LMS dining
carriages in good condition to provide food on long-distance services so the Mk1 version
was not used. Here Bachmann provide most of the train with a re-painted Hornby
12-wheeled diner situated between the 1st and 3rd class accommodation.
indentWith a moorland road, a "beck" and a pub, we just might be close to somewhere with a few inhabitants!
|Previous photograph in series||Back to "Tupdale Room" entrance||Next photograph in series|